Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Les Yeux Ouverts



I am making progress! If only for one night, I fell asleep with this song- In FRENCH- stuck in my head!!! This is big only because probably for the past 3 weeks straight every night I have had a song from one of the kids' many 'Boz' movies stuck in my head. It was actually hard to go to sleep because I was trying to remember all the words- something that I knew by heart in my previous life! (aka-before kids)

This change of song happened because I watched one of my Netflix movies instantly on my computer- (I am really getting into this Netflix thing!) It was "2 days in Paris." Something that I watched only because Mike wasn't home last night- it was probably not a movie he would have chosen! (not probably- definitely!) Although I enjoyed the movie enough I will probably make him watch it with me sometime... :)

OK, I really liked this movie. I have been searching YouTube for a clip of it I could show on my blog but there wasn't really anything "appropriate." Which makes sense because it was very 'French' in its content. I just really enjoyed hearing the French language, seeing Paris, seeing the French people as they really are. It had some very hilarious parts, too. I am not sure if just the average joe would like this movie. I feel you almost have to have an appreciation of the French people to really enjoy it but I could be wrong! If you are so inclined and know how-you should search for '2 days in paris' on youtube and watch one of the previews...

This movie got me feeling very nostalgic for Paris and my memories there. I was there for a summer with Baylor in Paris program studying French, living with a French family. I was there another summer with Campus Crusade for Christ, living in a dorm on campus. I have been through in a backpacking trip with my bff Katy. And the last time I went was for my honeymoon, (we also went to London, Annecy, France which is in the Alps, and Geneva.) Alas- I haven't been back since!!!!! But, I guess I have been a little busy...

Although I am feeling nostalgic for those days, I do not miss them. I am so glad I traveled and did things when I did because I am so content now to be where I am. I love my life. I love my husband, my children, my friends. I couldn't ask for anything more! God has truly blessed me so much!!! I know the day will come sooner than I am ready for that my kids are grown and out of the house and Mike & I will be able to travel and see the world together. That will be wonderful, but I am in no rush to get there. Thank you, Lord, for the simple life...

3 comments:

  1. The French language is beautiful. I have always wanted to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song too, although I definitely can not sing it in French. I know what you mean about missing the old days. I hate how quickly all of the stages occur. We just have to enjoy every minute we can and kids certainly provide excitement along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, the days before kids - Germany, Hawaii, random trips to Canada...
    You're right though - I would trade traveling or any of my past life for what I have at home now (even the hards days when we aren't even sure we're making a difference in these little lives! : > )

    ReplyDelete