Tonight I experimented with making the very delicioso green sauce from the Mexican restaurant "Ninfas" that I loved to go to when I was at Baylor. You really can find anything by Googling it... :)
I started with some yellow tomatoes (I couldn't find green at King Soopers!)

Added some tomatillos...

Meanwhile... I made some tacos. Or rather, I had the kids make their own. This, I must say, was a stroke of genius. You can't really tell but each of the kids is actually eating their dinner! They each loaded up their own tortilla shell with meat & cheese, I wrapped it up for them, and they ate them... without complaining! It helps that they are watching Sponge Bob... :)
(do you see my new table?)

Add in garlic & jalapenos, bring to a boil & simmer.


This was a fairly lengthy process- the kids finished their dinner, and Sponge Bob, and decided to play before bed.
(please ignore the mound of laundry-clean laundry- behind them!)

Mix with avocados, cilantro & salt in food processor.

Add in the sour cream.

Enjoy the deliciousness... while checking facebook!
I wish I had a Ninfarita to drink along with it but that probably wouldn't be a good idea while watching 3 small children. So, a Pepsi had to do.

Here's the recipe- it makes A LOT! I will let you know if it works to freeze it...
Ninfa’s Green Sauce
Ingredients:
3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, but never use red)
4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 small garlic cloves
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro
1 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 cups of sour cream
Method:
Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.
Makes 4 to 5 cups
No comments:
Post a Comment