Thursday, November 12, 2009

Smiling

I have a post to write tonight and it may be a really boring subject but I feel like I need to write about it. The topic? Dental Equilibration. Yep, I'm going to write about my teeth.

For the past 8 months or so I have been putting off going to the dentist. Ever since I got married I have been going twice a year because that's how Mike is- he's one of those people who like going to the dentist and always has gone twice a year, just like he's supposed to. This girl is another person like that... Anyway, I have always been one of those people who if I never had to step into the dentist's office again I would be a happy person. There's a story I will tell you some day if you ask, about my teenage self and my mom pulling each other's hair outside the dentist's office in the car because I didn't want to go in...

Anyway, at my last cleaning (in the early spring) I had a sharp pain in my tooth that was diagnosed as a possible miniature crack in my tooth but it was alleviated a little by the dentist grinding away part of it. This brought about the conversation that my bite is pretty much awful. Only a couple of my teeth actually touch and this makes it so I put waaay too much pressure on the very back teeth, causing me to clench my jaw, get headaches, neck & shoulder pain. I have always had really awful neck/shoulder pain- Mike can attest to the fact that I have always wanted him to rub my shoulders anytime he's within 6 feet of me. I also have a lot of jaw pain, consciously having to remind myself to relax my jaw. (are you still with me? sorry this is so boring!) My pain in my shoulders has gotten so bad that I thought I needed to go to the chiropractor to see if he could alleviate some of it. I could not chew a lot without my jaw getting tired. Things like taffy were out of the question.

So, the dentist said that he wanted to take some molds of my teeth and see if he could help me equal-out my bite and pretty much save my teeth from me breaking them out of my mouth. He said if I waited 30/40 years or so to do anything I would not be able to chew later in life. I guess he knew that the only way to get me to act is to scare me to death. But, a little part of me still thought- I'll just deal with it when it happens, I don't mind smoothies- it would save me a trip to the dentist.

So, 6 months passed and then a couple more and I went back in for my cleaning, and my molds. I experienced my first migraine that day- not fun, but no need to get into that. Most of my friends get them much more than I do so you know what I'm talking about.

The next week, this past Tuesday, I went in for my equilibration. Basically that means 2 hours of him grinding my teeth down so they all fit together- or as many as possible.

Within the first 15 min my jaw started to hurt. The smell of burning, grinding teeth was a little nauseating. I had to keep trying to relax my jaw to let him move it where it needed to go- which seemed a little impossible to me.
An hour later my jaw was starting to feel better- better? After an hour of having it wide open and moving it around? I literally got choked up in the dentist's chair while having my teeth ground- and not from the tooth smoke.

I am still in awe from what that trip to the dentist has done for me. I do not have headaches every day. My jaw feels so much better. I can kiss without my jaw getting tired- definitely a fun result of this procedure! I seriously love kissing now! (Mike likes this) The biggest difference is definitely my neck & shoulder pain that is totally gone. I feel like I just got a hair cut- kindof light and bouncy. Mike & my Mom have noticed that I even look different. Less puffy in the cheeks- from inflammation maybe? My poor jaw muscles were so inflamed that people could see them. I have been in a much happier mood- more patient with the kids. It has been a life changing event.

I still have to go back in 2 more times for fine-tuning and possibly have more done in the future since my front teeth still don't touch... but I am sure glad I went in & had this done! And, that is why I had to tell you about it. :)

(And, since this last cleaning, I would like my hygienist and the world to know that I have been flossing every single day with my new favorite tooth-tool... the Gum Floss Pick! Mike doesn't know who I am anymore...)


4 comments:

  1. I am a tooth grinder and my mouth guard has made a huge difference in my jaw pain, isn't it crazy how much pain your teeth can cause. I am glad your mouth and neck feel so much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I am so happy you no longer have pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've found some relief!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the clencher/grinder/mouth guard wearer club too...can relate to a little bit of your pain, though yours sounds MUCH worse! Ugh! I'm sure you DO feel like a whole new person...that's awesome. Who loves her dentist now?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete