Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Midnight Prayers



Last night, about 1 am, D woke me up crying. He had come into my room and clung to me, crying so hard I couldn't understand what was the matter. When he finally calmed down enough to let me know what was going on- he told me that he was scared of the vent in his room. Now, I have known that he has a fear of his floor vents for some time, now. He knows that it goes down to the furnace and after watching "Veggietales' Rack, Shack & Benny" he sees the furnace as a huge fiery place that he does not want anything to go into. There has been a hair tie that is stuck in the vent in my bathroom that he has especially been concerned about for a while. So, I calm him down a bit and we go back to his room and get him into bed. He asks me to pray for him, which I do- asking God to help him not be scared and go to sleep, when he interrupts me and says that I need to ask God to make sure that Daddy gets his letters and the hair tie out of the vent so they don't go down to the furnace. (I don't know why he threw the letters in this, I can only imagine he's talking about the letters that spell his name on his wall.) I had to pray about 3 different times to get it right and make sure he was listening. (He told me I had to pray again because he didn't hear me.) He did go right back to bed afterwards and so did I! After thinking about it, I think he must've had a bad dream about the vent & his letters going down to the furnace. Poor guy...

5 comments:

  1. Poor guy!!!!! Oh, that is so sad when they are so scared, especially in the middle of the night. I can't help but laugh though, isn't it funny the things they think about and are scared of?? the vents....and all because of Veggie Tales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, poor Dawson! I was afraid of my vent when I was little too. I thought a fire would start from it because I dropped something in it. Addie on the other hand... loves to take the vents out of the floor and reach down to see what she can find. The other day she brought me a raisin and ate it before she told me where she got it - the vent! EWWW! I think I'm the one that had bad dreams that night.

    I hope praying with Dawson helps him to sleep better and not be afraid. Poor guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is such a sweet boy! Good thing he has a mama who knows just how to pray for him (after some instruction).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it sad when they have bad dreams...Olivia's first bad dream that she could articulate was that her blanket got smooshed in an elevator...it was very upseting to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you!!! Okay...okay...I'll try to blog again!!!!!

    ReplyDelete