Free from the pressure of having a project loom over me.
Free from the guilt I felt every time I started a new craft project.
I have finished my cross stitch! Many of my crafty friends know what a big deal this actually is. I started a cross stitch 11 years ago when I was in college at Baylor. I had just heard from my brother that he & his wife were going to have their first baby! I was so excited. I still remember crying on the phone when he called to tell me. So, I ran out and picked out a project at the store to do for the new baby. Needless to say, I had no idea what in the world I was getting myself into. I picked out a huge Noah's Ark Precious Moments cross stitch. Yes, Precious Moments. Obviously, I did not finish it in time for TJ to be born and have barely made it in time to give it to her for her first day in Middle School. Sorry, Torrey, but you're not getting this. :)
I have put in many, many, many hours into this. There have been years when I have not even picked it up. Many of those years because I didn't even like looking at it because I thought it was so cheesy! But, my brother kept having kids, and I kept trying to finish it to give to them. And then- I got pregnant with my own little one and I switched gears! A new motivation! I'd finish it for my own child! But, alas, it didn't happen- and I thought a little boy probably wouldn't appreciate it so much. A year & a half later I was in the hospital room waiting for my induction-and-then-c-section with Caitlyn and I had it with me. Actually worked on it, too! Surely a little girl will appreciate this...right?
Now, a third child and 2 years and 10 months later...I have finished it! Yippee!!! Yeah for me! I feel entitled to toot my own horn right about this moment. There's nobody here to celebrate with at the moment so I thought I would share with the blogging world out there.
There have been several craft weekends that I have brought this with me and discussed with my friends having a big party when I was done with it. Well, I think I'm going to be fine just getting it framed really nicely and hanging it in my new craft room in the basement. Then, when Caitlyn is old enough to appreciate it (which probably won't be until she has started one herself), she will get it.
I think the real miracle in this whole thing is I have not lost a single part of this cross stitch in the last 11 years which includes 8 moves, a college graduation, a marriage & 3 children.
Anybody have any framing suggestions for me?
Awwww! The note to C is the cutest part! I got a little teary reading your post... I don't know whether to blame my own crafting guilt or hormones. :)
ReplyDeleteHmmm... maybe a blue mat with a white frame? Or a light wood frame to bring out the ark? Maybe I need to see it in person. I'm proud of you for sticking to it after all this time... it will be a great lesson for your kids someday!
Well Done Sis!!! I love it. I, too, like Angie, teared up...looking at your dedication to Cakes. We WILL celebrate this momentous occasion...some how or another. Perhaps just a toast to your crafty prowess sometime soon.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you!
Amber....that is amazing! I too got all teary at the end when I saw the writing to Cakes....so sweet. And what an accomplishment! You must feel so good, and it turned wonderfully. What an intricate embroidery, quite the undertaking. And did you mention you have a craft room?????? I'm so jealous! :-)
ReplyDeleteWay to go my friend, so happy for you.
Way to go!!! It looks great...I like that you are going to hang it in the craft room.
ReplyDeleteWoohoo! I saw Michael's is having a custom framing sale. 50% off I think. So when are you starting your next one? Maybe something for Dawson's college dorm? (to take the pressure off)Every college boy needs a cross stitch from mom proudly on display. ;)
ReplyDelete