Monday, January 5, 2009

Quiltin' Fun


In October last year (way back in 2008) my mom said she would like us to have a homemade Christmas this year.  I'm always up for a challenge so I went to our local library and checked out some quilting books.  This one caught my eye and I decided to go for it and make a quilt for my parents.  Well, I just finished it today...  :)  It's so nice to finish a project!

This is a quilt with a whole lot of whimsy to it.  (I usually try to add a touch of whimsy to things but I just dumped it in with this one).  It is my 2nd quilt ever and I was able to try a whole bunch of different techniques with it.  I did applique, photo transfer, fabric paint, bagging a quilt and tying through.  All fun things and things I am sure I will do much better with my next quilt, and the one after, and the one after that...

Here are some pics of it in process and finished:

I especially loved this fabric.  Little colorful paper dolls.

I read in my book that the quilt will look more complex if you used brightly colored fabrics.  I think I went a little overboard...  

I had my sis in law trace her kids' hand prints and I cut them out and traced them onto the fabric and did the same with my kids' hands.

Caitlyn loves to put her hands on all the handprints & guess whose hand it is.  (Which, of course she knows by heart)

back of the quilt (obviously)

Dad in his glider

Mom as she cheerfully watches all her grandkids

As I was trying to finish today during nap time, this is what I kept seeing up above me.  She never did take a nap and kept coming back to see what Mom was doing.

After I relented & let her down Dawson was down in a matter of minutes and I decided to do a photo shoot with the quilt.  Dawson was all hugs & kisses but Caitlyn was "in a mood."

And of course, Jackson is all smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment