Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ribbon Bulletin Boards

I am so excited about my latest project!  I started thinking about making these the other day because Dawson loves to keep any special card he gets- from his "Special Helper" card from school to his Valentine's Day cards to the top part of his latest Transformer box.  He usually tucks them into the top of his chair rail around his room when he's asleep and otherwise carries them around in a clear plastic case.  (Did I mention he loves his cards?)  So, I started thinking about making him a ribbon bulletin board and decided that I should make all 3 kids one if I'm going to the trouble of making one...  Which means I got to go to the fabric store!  This is something I enjoy more and more.  I love choosing fabric that's just perfect for my project.  I could spend hours looking at patterns and then fabric...  Too bad I never seem to have hours to do that- but that's life, right?!  (& I'm ok with that- I know it will come all too soon & I will wonder what happened to my busy days)

Anyway, I was quite proud of myself for making these.  This is no surprise since I tend to have great pride in myself whenever I actually accomplish a project.  It's kindof a rush- my own little drug of choice, I guess... :)

I did some research online for a pattern to follow but ended up just making it up as I went along.  I used foam board that was on sale at Hobby Lobby, covered that in batting I had already and then used my new favorite tool- the glue gun- to glue on the fabric & then ribbons.  I did use pins to hold the ribbon in place which helped a lot!

Here are the pictures of the finished products:

Jack's really into puppies- I mean he LOVES them.  Right now his room is a jungle theme but I think I am going to change it to a dog theme.  He actually was with me when I got the fabric and when I held this up he reached out and grabbed it and held it to him.  It was quite cute.


Caitlyn's favorite colors right now are first yellow and then orange.  I knew I had to use those colors and thought this was a fun pattern for her, especially with the sequins.  She likes it a lot and calls it the "pretty one."


And of course for Dawson it had to be Transformers.  I had to go to Super Walmart to find this fabric and I'm so glad they had some!



6 comments:

  1. Those are soooo cool! Think I might have to try one or two myself :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, those bulletin boards are sooooo cute. I'll have to make one for our Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Amber! Those are very cool, and I love how you personalized them to what they are in to. They look so professional! It feels so good to accomplish something so tangible, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! You will have to teach me how to make those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive! We have a not-nearly-as-cute-storebought fabric bulletin board in my daugher's room and it's very fun for her to put all kinds of treasures there (postcards, cousins' school pics, her own drawings). Great idea to make them so personalized for each child!

    ReplyDelete