Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Little White Lies

After some conversations I had this weekend at the Women's Retreat and then again this morning I began to wonder if telling "little white lies" to my children, for their own good of course, was ok.  Here's the scoop:

Dawson is 4 1/2 and definitely has some odd eating preferences.  One in particular is he doesn't like anything with the word "cream" in it.  (He does make an exception for ice cream.)  But whipping cream, cream cheese, etc. is a definite no-no and if he happens to get even a little bit in his mouth  he will make himself throw up.  I think he gets this from his Uncle Brian D. since he is the other member of the family who can throw up on will... but that's another story.  He also does this with potatoes.

So, in our house we eat on occasion the little flavored oatmeal packets that you can get with a variety of flavors.  Some of these are Apples & Cinnamon, Cinnamon Roll, Maple & Brown Sugar.  But, there's also the fruit variety.  Peaches & Cream, Strawberries & Cream, Blueberries & Cream...  You see where I'm going with this?  The very first time I brought these home I made the mistake of saying "Strawberries & Cream"  I didn't realize until this morning that I had done that since I have been just saying "Peach", "Blueberries", etc.  So Dawson told me he wanted "Strawberries"  and I said OK, and he asked, "It isn't Strawberries & Cream, is it, Mommy?"  and I said, "No, just Strawberries."  End of story, right?  Should I feel bad that I just totally lied to my son about oatmeal?

These are my thoughts at 7:26 am.  I'd better go get Jack since he's crying & ready for his oatmeal...  :)

4 comments:

  1. I think it's okay, but I completely understand the guilt. What if you threw the question back to him and said, "well, what do you think? Does it taste like cream to you?" Then, you're not really lying at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where this is going. I am the "cream" grammy. Protein diet. Cream has less carbs. This whole thing is my fault. The hatred of potatoes I have to give the Wagners the entire blame. No potatoes here. I have no idea why my email says reunion committee except that I am planning a high school reunion. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kids that's not spinach in there...if it gets them to eat it...I'm game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I think his cream hatred / aversion stems from "cream milk"...

    ReplyDelete