Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Just your average Wednesday?




Do you ever have one of those days that you end up spending the morning at home with all your children, nothing to do, and it's just delightful?

This is one of those days for me. And although I know it can change at the drop of a hat, I am thoroughly enjoying it.

This is what prompted it:
Last night I was flossing. Since getting braces I have been 500x better at taking care of my teeth. I brush about 4 times a day, floss every day, use my little bitty brush every day and also use my special Bubble Gum flavored rinse. (They were out of mint when they gave me my "free" bottle when I got my braces & I really like it better than spicy mint!) So, as I was flossing I guess I wasn't paying enough attention & I ended up popping off one of my brackets on my tooth! Yikes! I really freaked Mike out when I started shrieking in the bathroom and made him come in to help me. Thankfully, I was able to just kindof push it back on my tooth & it seemed like it would stay put. I'm supposed to go to the ortho tomorrow anyway so I figured that I would just call & go in today...

So, thinking I would call & get right in, I opted to stay home from BSF this morning... I didn't realize that my Dr. doesn't work today and I wasn't able to get in, but I am going in a little earlier tomorrow. That caused us to be home today with nowhere to go!

Since being home; my wonderful friend Chris brought me a VENTI Mocha Frappuccino for no reason other than she's my wonderful friend. :) My kids have brought a TON of toys up from the basement and have played so nicely together that I don't care. I have started a crock pot full of black bean/sausage soup. Caitlyn has run around all morning in her underwear with no less than 30 clippies in her hair. Dawson is still in his underwear. The biggest: Jackson has decided he HAS to wear big boy underwear. Every 15 minutes, we have gone to the potty to sit down. He has yet to go (all morning) but he has not had an accident. I count this a success and wonder how the rest of the day will go...

Standing in the bathroom with your potty-sitting toddler gives you a lot of empty time so I have been able to catch up on the phone with several friends. I have also been able to relax and catch up on some blog reading. I have 3 new ones in particular that I am becoming completely addicted to.

http://aslobcomesclean.blogspot.com/ is the first. I haven't been reading for too long but I already feel like we are kindred spirits. I have been able to read her posts, be encouraged that I am not the only type B/organizationally challenged wife out there, and also see the little steps she's taking to clean up and try to motivate myself to do the same. Thanks Nony! :)

The next two are causing me quite an internal struggle..
http://knockoffwood.blogspot.com/
and
http://newdressaday.wordpress.com/

I could read them all. day. long. My internal struggle is this: I want to do them. Both. I want to become a master carpenter, amazing Mike with how awesome I become with tools. I want to look like one of those hot women carpenters on TLC who can make furniture that looks amazing. I know I can do it. My house will have all these amazing Pottery Barn knock-offs...
But- I also want to become an amazing seamstress. I have started watching Project Runway this season and LOVE it! In the past couple weeks I have finished a quilt for Dawson, started making drapes for Jack's room, and made a purse in a day for myself. (Pics and post to come on these things). I think it's so fun to use my sewing machine and make fun things. I LOVE going to the fabric store and poring over all the different prints... And- if I can figure out how to re-make vintage dresses like this girl does, maybe I can reinvent myself to look hip & cool instead of my "mom look" of a plain t-shirt and jeans that I wear pretty much every day...

I don't think I can handle both. At least at the same time. Especially since I'm trying to clean/organize my house and become better with what my job really is right now which is to keep my house/kids the way I'm supposed to. Hence my internal struggle... Any suggestions?

Oh, and just an update, right before pressing "publish post" Jack had an accident. I still think the morning was a success and I think it was my fault because his 15 minute timer went off and I really wanted to just finish this post so I put off bringing him to the potty... Sorry Jack! We'll try again after naps...

No comments:

Post a Comment